Altering the shopfront requires planning permission. The most common application is that which seeks new lighting at the fascia of the shopfront.

Swan lighting is usually a permitted construct without the need for planning permission. It cannot be erected if the building is listed or in a conservation area. 

Illuminated signage is a development which seldom receives an application from the local authority. It does require planning permission. This causes enforcement action and unnecessary stress on the part of the commercial occupier.

Proposal for splitting 199 Portobello Road, W11